Tuesday, May 6, 2008

How Has My Opinion on Adoption Changed?

Dawn, do you ever ask loaded questions!

In the six years since our agency retaliated against us, even summoning the courage to trust a social worker to try to adopt again, is impossible. I've learned too much about child welfare law and that it is an ingrained system that your average PAP can't fight. Not without expert legal help anyway. I've learned that the system protects the private agency at the expense of PAPs, foster parents, and even more horrifying, children. The enforcement mechanisms to root out bad agencies and caseworkers is a joke.

Back in my starry-eyed PAP days, I trusted people and I believed in the good of child welfare. I'm beyond disillusioned now.

But on the bright side, I found a passion in me that I didn't know existed. I've found the ability to take a grim set of circumstances and use them as a positive force.

Ditto on Kim's comments about researching an agency and going in with a cautious attitude.

No comments: